Tuesday 8 March 2011

Marvel Vs. Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds


After 11 years in the waiting, Marvel Vs. Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds is finally here. But how have Capcom done in this highly anticipated time?

The first thing you will notice is Capcoms choice of graphics, the game has a very bright and vibrant feeling which lots of color jumping around constantly, is this a bad thing? I don't think so, I think it makes a change, it may lack the polish that some people are looking for like in games such as the new Mortal Kombat, but this isn't what Capcom were trying to achieve. The game has an almost comic book like style to it, the graphics represent exactly what you get when you read the comics, which I personally think is a great feature, it may not be for everyone, but with the amount of detail that can appear on the screen at any one time, it makes the gameplay run a lot smoother. The vivid colors make is a very pleasing game to play, Capcom really didn't cheap out in trying to make this game look, fun.


Alongside the very new graphics system Capcom have gone for, the sound presentation for this game is also pretty good. You can clearly hear and define the every effect of certain moves, even when you have 4 people on the screen at once, you can actually tell who is there just from listening. The voice acting is also done very well, it gives the game a very fun feel to it with some extremely quirky characters who you literally want on your team for comic value. Deadpool for example, Deadpool is portrayed in this game exactly as he is in the comics, he is nuts! He constantly breaks the fourth wall and talks to the player, he even breaks apart the games dynamics, breaking off the plays health bar and smacking his opponents  with it! It is simply one of the funniest things I have ever seen in a game!

The big question is, how does this game play? Well some people feel that Capcom may have held back slightly and after 11 years in the waiting, it kinda pisses me off. However you can't fault this game for how it runs. As a huge fighting game fan I was eager to test how Capcom delivered and it's safe to say they didn't disappoint, with 3 vs 3 fights, multiple team combos and huge air combos flying all over the place, if you can master how to manipulate these combos you can take your opponents  on a wild ride. It is highly addictive, espeically when you know how to utilize big combos and high hit count moves.

Well folks that is pretty much me done being nice about this game, if you are going to be offended by me telling the truth about this game, as I know a lot of the die hard fans out there are, I suggest you stop reading now and keep telling yourself this is the best fighting game on the market. As much as I wanted to write a great review about how the game was exactly what we all deserved after all this time, I can't do that. Marvel vs Capcom 3 has an abundant amount of this wrong with it! First and formost, where is our damn story mode! Why is there no story?! And you cannot tell me that the 5 or so fights and suddenly fighting Galactus, which I am not being funny is ridiculously easy! After you beat him, you get a 2/3 segment piece of art work with a little story, which at first seems cool but then you think to yourself, is this it?!? Where is the rest of my game Capcom!


For a lot of people this will be the first time they play the series and I hate to say it but a lot will be disappointed. This game didn't need a huge detailed story, we aren't talking like this is Mass Effect or something, but just anything! Something to explain to people how these two worlds came together, there is a story to it so why not tell everyone! It just feels cheap to have such a pathetic arcade mode! Next and I will make this short, but the training mode.. What the hell! Okay with Marvel vs Capcom there really is a way to dominate your enemy and you can see the players who have played the previous games dominating online because they know how to use the combos effectively. The way they try and 'teach' you is with mission mode. You get set targets of what to do and thats kind of it, but this is the worst training ever! They show you the button figuration and sequence before the match starts and then its gone!! Why not have it at the bottom of the screen like in Super Street Fighter! It's wrong and it's cheap! You feel like Capcom just sat back and thought, "na, we don't need it" to everything!

Even the rooster, I know some people will argue with me about this, but the rooster is poor. Yes there are some great characters here, but some huge ones are missing! No fantastic four whatsoever?! Why is Ken not on Capcoms side? And if one person says it will come out on DLC they should be shot. We should get them all for the full purchase price, its a joke that we are expected to pay full price for a half finished game! As my list goes on, I feel like I have to mention online. Online mode is a complete disaster, 90% of the time when you attempt to join a game you will see the "searching" box just sat there or it will just fail! Are you kidding me! This isn't a difficult thing to fix, its not like we are asking you to host 32 players in an online death match, no. It's 2 people. 2!! Which brings me onto the point, why no spectator mode!! Why Capcom are you doing this! No instead if you are in a loby with 2 people fighting you see there stupid avatar cards bounce into each other. A complete disaster.

My final verdict is pretty simple, I paid half the full retail price for Marvel vs Capcom a day after launch on Amazon. I couldn't believe it was this cheap, now I know why. Don't get me wrong, I still really enjoy this game, its great if you have friends that enjoy fighting games and if you like just jumping on as your favorite Marvel or Capcom characters and kicking some ass! The game runs extremely well and it is really fun, but for a full retail priced game, I can't recommend it. Wait for the price drop which is inevitable and pick it up, but with the total rejection of a story and just the feeling of being cheated out of my time and money, I can't rate Marvel vs Capcom more than;

6.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment